Monday, July 7, 2008

Malach VI - Prophecies Mission I (The Great Northern Wall)

"We fear the Charr General Bonfaaz Burntfur is planning a mass raid on the Wall. Head north into enemy territory and find out what that mangy beast has planned."

This was the comment with which captain Calhaan of the Ascalonian army commanded us forth. Hmm, I have to say my family, perchance it was a mistake to accept the Prince's invitation to join his Vanguard. While it did give us access to sources of information we did not have before, it also makes most officers feel they can order us around now.

Not something which I signed up for. Somehow I could sense how my brother barely managed to keep himself in check. Not a surprise, that. He commanded vast armies - more men than this little officer ever saw - and yet here he needed to obey this Wall captain's orders. I told him that the information about the Charr army would be interesting to us personally as well, and that seemed to satisfy him. At least, he stopped glowering at the captain too hard.

A handful of henchmen for mundane tasks we took with us. A fighter, a monk, an archer and a mage. Not in our league, far from it, but they were useful. The first part of the trip was uneventful. Certainly, there was an assortment of various scruffy or scaly monsters, but between axe, flames, dominance and necrotic power they were nothing more than just a little diversion. Suddenly my sister, my marrow, stopped and gazed at the entrance to a tomb. Her voice echoed strangely between the blasted hills and the heat of the ground was momentarily dispatched.

Then, a ghostly apparition appeared garbed in full armour. His voice echoed hollow as he addressed us, "In life, I was known as the Champion of Surmia. In death I am but a restless spirit. Please help me. The enchanted armour that sealed my tomb has been stolen. Find it and return it to me, so that I may pass into the Rift."

For a second I thought I could see something in the eyes of my sister, the younger one. Recognition perhaps? Did she know this Champion of Surmia? Interesting perhaps, for another time.

The armour parts were easily found, someone seemed to have hidden them in wreckages here and there. Most likely to sell it at a later date. Not surprising that, it was in excellent condition and quite clearly magical. At another time I would have kept this for myself, to study the lattice of magic and metal combined.

"Thank you! I will remember your kindness when we meet again in the Underworld."

With these words of thanks the ghost disappeared once more after he was presented with his armour. He did not have time to see the faint smiles on some of the faces in front of him. This promise might've been a hollow one to anyone else, but we Scarabae remember debts and debtors... and we know the Underworld well.

Moving further along the road now we suddenly observed the Charr army, being whipped into a frenzy by a speech of their General. My brother clinically observed the army, calculating strengths and weaknesses, numbers and formations.

Then we were spotted! Just the one scout we had missed. Hellfire! The Charr General - and I have to give him points for quick thinking here - used this to direct the frenzy of the Charr troops against us. So we ran, followed closely by hundreds of Charr. Once in a while I threw back a fireball, to gain us some distance, and some of the other ones who could cast did the same. Arriving seconds before them at the Wall the captain was warned and observed the arriving army. Then he made a good call.

"There are too many. We'll never hold them back. The Wall is lost. We must fall back. Retreat! Retreat! Regroup at the bunkers just north of Fort Ranik. We can't let the Charr make it to the capital."

And this is what we did.

No comments: