Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Malach III

Perhaps I will write a little about family. Gives me a chance to organise my own thoughts too.

First sister Sabina; the apple of my eyes, the marrow of my bones. Of us all, she is by far the most proficient in the arts of Necromancy. That is to say, we all have an innate grasp of the mysteries and spells and can do them well, Sabine, however, has the most intricate knowledge of death itself. She has the amazing capability of actually infusing herself with renewed energy each time some being dies near her. This is something we have not managed to duplicate yet.

Then brother Ateuchus; a mystery of sorts. He, unlike us, doesn't hail from Ascalon - not even partially - but instead from one of the Elonian territories. I do not know which of the three, I'm not even sure he knows so himself. He has proven himself to be a true Scarabae, however, when he wielded one of the Hourglass Staffs without problems. Like all of us he has an innate grasp of Necromantic power too. He merges this very effectively with a warrior's prowess.

And then there is father.

Lokutus Scarabae is the name we've known him under - Loki to some of his older friends who came to visit him when we were young. Some think he always wore a bone mask, but I know it was living bone and it was his true face. But I am not sure if it was his only one though. When I came to Ascalon for the first time, I was amazed at the statues of my father in many places. They called him Grenth there. I was oh so young and thought father was a honoured hero there. Later I learned that these statues were depicting the God of Death. I never had the guts to ask father about this - surely he couldn't actually be him, could he? The Gods had left Tyria many, many years ago, hadn't they?

Even now this musing still raises many more questions than it answers.

No comments: