Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Ateuchus II


The watch is set and I find myself with another idle moment. Things are…easier here in the Battle Isles, despite the evocative name. Since turning my hand to the guardianship of this Hall, those that serve to protect the walls have proven not entirely incompetent. I doubt, however, that they have appreciated the act of honing much. Another few months and one might even feel at peace here.

A curious notion, peace, I wonder what it’s like. I suppose if I should ever feel it’s like I should have to leave. And yet, the thought of departing this place is somehow disquieting. My mother still lives among her river-kin and writes that I should return before she forgets what I look like. Unlikely that- all things considered- just another of her dry jabs to ‘lighten my spirit.’ I am not ready to go yet, there is still much to do in the Hall and there is the matter of this brother and sister that I have yet to come to terms with.

My father instructed me to ward Sabina, which I have done, but she puzzles me. She seems torn in several directions, a dangerous thing when one is used to facing naked steel. You choose instinctively and decisively, without hesitation, or you end up decorating the end of a pole. She is of a quiet nature, and when the blood rage takes me I think it terrifies her. Perhaps she would feel better if I were to tell her that it frightens me as well. I do appreciate the new quill she has given me after seeing my lack of success with feathers. A decent heft and strong, I think it bone-wrought but knowing the little I do of her studies do not really want to know what it’s made of.

Malach I know even less of. He seems more decisive, yet clings to his past. I would tell him that holding onto an anchor is a sure way to drown, or perhaps chain him to a stone and toss him into the sea to make the point more bluntly, but he is not under my command and does not come to me for advice. He seems fond of his own voice and asks a lot of questions, but I suppose I cannot blame him his curiosity.

So I write… and will stay awhile longer.

No comments: